Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Our FIRST Client!

A woman in need can be defined in many terms. Perhaps she is unemployed, divorced, a single mom, chronically ill, or just having a rough time of it. I find it rather ironic and humbling to report that our first client is a PERFECT example of a strong woman doing great things, but in financial distress as our first client. I have known Ms. Millie for over four years. In that time we served on my non-profit boards and participated in many community events together. Diagnosed with a chronic illness at that time, Ms. Millie was unable to obtain full-time employment, purchase her own car, or maintain stable/suitable housing. Without sharing too much of her personal struggle, let me just say that her story in nothing short of miraculous. Today Ms. Millie heads a non-profit organization (an unpaid position at the time) that she built from the ground up, lives in her own home, and is a walking picture of health. She tells me her "faith" has gotten her through the worst of times and kept her looking toward the future. She never gave up and probably never will. When she told me that she would be attending a huge workshop in Pittsburgh at the end of the month, a light-bulb went off in my head..."I'm looking at our first client"...and we dressed her for success in a beautiful three piece business suit for the upcoming event. I have never seen anyone so grateful and blessed. Amen!

No comments: